I was walking through the downtown area trying to figure out how I was going to eat for the day, and thinking to myself that so far I hadn't gotten anything out of this experience and was wondering if I had wasted my time doing this. And at that moment the Holy Spirit convicted me, and it literally felt like the world stopped as He said "You are not to judge but to love." And wham, my heart was changed. I had a new perspective.
I realized through the experience that most of my thoughts came out of fear for these people, not understanding or being educated about their circumstances, and thinking that I was better than them. I realized that there were many scriptures in the Bible talking about the poor and instructing us how to react to them.
- "Blessed is he who considers the weak and poor; The Lord will deliver him in a day of trouble." Psalm 41:1
- "Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy." Psalm 82:3
- "He who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will reward him for what he has done." Proverbs 19:17
- "If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered." Proverbs 21:13
- "A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor." Proverbs 22:9
- "If there is a poor man with you, one of your brothers, in any of your towns in your land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart, nor close your hand from your poor brother; but you shall freely open your hand to him, and shall generously lend him sufficient for his need in whatever he lacks... You shall generously give to him, and your heart shall not be grieved when you give to him, because for this thing the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in all your undertakings. For the poor will never cease to be in the land; therefore I command you, saying 'You shall freely open your hand to your brother, to your needy and poor in your land.'" Deuteronomy 15:7, 8, 10, 11
- "We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: 'The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me.' For everything that is written in teh past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God." Romans 15:1-7
- "Rich and poor have this in common: The Lord is the Maker of them all." Proverbs 22:2
- "My Brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism. Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, 'Here's a good seat for you,' but say to the poor man, 'You stand there' or 'Sit on the floor by my feet,' have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? Listen my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised to those who love him? But you have insulted the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not eh ones who are dragging you into court? Are they not the ones who are slandering the noble name of him to who you belong? If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, 'Love your neighbor as yourself,' you are doing right. But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers...Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment." James 2:1-12
- "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless in this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27
I can't believe how easy it is to forget what you once looked like. I was reminded that when Jeremy and I was first married and then had Michelle, we were so poor. We were dirt poor. Jeremy's income was in the poverty level that we qualified for WIC and took full advantage of it. Yet, we lived vicariously. We drove a new vehicle, had cell phones, had a computer, ate out often, bought new clothes, went of vacation, all the while accepting help from the government to put food on the table. I once was the poor person taking from the government and not being responsible. I was not educated on the manner of budgeting. I had no idea what it was or what it looked like. Jeremy had the knowledge, but he was too prideful to take a look at our situation and to educate his wife on the manner. I was once in the exact position that many poor people are in, but I forgot what I once looked like and instead became judgmental and not compassionate.
We all have many sins. We are commanded to not judge. It isn't our place. We are commanded to LOVE our enemies and the poor!
No comments:
Post a Comment