Monday, August 16, 2010

Is God enough?

So, I went to Mardel's last week to purchase a new book.  I had no idea what to get, so I walked over to the Christian Living section, prayed "Lord, please direct me to a book I should read."  He pointed out "Radical" by David Platt.  I read the first chapter that night and was amazed how God really did lead me to a book that I needed.  I don't think I had full confidence that He would.  I was instantly in love with "Radical".  The next night I was telling Jeremy about it and he got a shocked look on his face and said "what church is he the pastor of?  I think Ronnie [our pastor] talked to me about him and we looked at his website."  A few days later when I went into Mardel's again, this book was listed as the #5 best seller.  It is just right up my alley for what God is doing in me and through me.

Chapter 2, page 26-27
"But is his Word enough for us?  This is the question that haunts me when I stand before a crowd of thousands of people in the church I pastor.  What if we take away the cool music and the cushioned chairs?  What if the screens are gone and the stage is no longer decorated?  What if the air conditioning is off and the comforts are removed?  Would his Word still be enough for his people to come together?"

Really, think about it: no sounds system, no band, no guitar, no entertainment, no cushioned chairs, no heated or air-conditioned building, nothing but the people of God and the Word of God.  Would that really be enough for you to still "go to church"?

That is actually my longing!  I tell you that I am so sick of the aesthetics of church.  Of the fuss and stressing and money spent on making things look pretty and feel comfortable for everyone.  Why can't we come together, sit on the floor, open our Bibles, join hands in prayer, share our hurts, struggles, fears, joys, miracles, and just life with each other-not afraid of tears or dancing? 

I am keenly aware that God has stripped and has continued stripping everything out of me that I know about Christian life, religion, beliefs....  I see sometimes little by little how He is restoring these things in my life, but through His eyes, His desires, His hopes for me to live out in my life.  But, I find myself questioning whether I am still stripped and waiting to be restored or am I already restored although it feels bare?

Then while I am at our gathering of believers at Onelife Community Church, I find myself scanning, judging, and planning on how to make our "church" look prettier.  I gave myself the job of making (or buying if cheap enough) 5 table clothes, decorative pieces for the tables, a backdrop to hide what's behind the check-in station, and a pretty pen holder instead of using a plastic red cup that is overflowing with pens.  So, why am I doing that, when my desire is just to meet with others, study the word, pray, have communion together, help each other and our community with their needs....?

Lord, I'm waiting on you!  You have the answer and in your right timing, I will receive it.  Until then, I will keep praying and searching You and Your Word. 

1 comment:

missy said...

angela,
just joined the warrior girls yahoo group and was perusing the blog list....love your blog. we seem to have a lot in common.
missy